Fatih University is a private (foundation) university located in Istanbul, Turkey. Established in 1996, the aim of the university is to become a leading world university, that aims at theoretical and practical education, research and development, by participating in global developments and issues while remaining attentive to local perspectives. Spatial Technologies are also given high priority within the university especially at the department of geography.
- The department has an undergraduate program and Master’s programs in geography and GIS.
- The department has a strong emphasis on spatial technologies in its programs and activities.
- With the first GIS lab established in a geography department in Turkey, it organized many national and international conferences to disseminate knowledge and skills about GIS across the country.
- Main contribution within the department has been to provide secondary school teachers with course materials and educational programs to learn GIS and use it in their lessons.
- Among the activities undertaken by the department so far are: publishing course materials such as the book “GIS for Teachers”, initiating national and international projects, and organizing GIS courses and certificate programs for secondary school teachers.
Use the following links for further information about the university and the department of geography: